Pursue Your Anything – Inquire Now
Applied Statistics & Analytics - Online
Big data is a big deal. And finding qualified employees to take on the complexities of big data is a big challenge.
The opportunities are out there for highly-trained data analysts, scientists and statisticians ready to make an immediate impact on the workforce, particularly the healthcare, transportation, insurance and manufacturing industries.
In 2014, a global management consulting firm, McKinsey & Company, emphasized the shortage of data analytics and statistics professionals. There’s an even greater shortage in graduate degrees to advance data analysts into data scientists.
The field of data analytics has expanded to include both applied statistics and computer science. Statistics—the science of uncertainty—provides the careful management and calculation of uncertainty. Computer science provides the information and tools necessary to build, manage, and manipulate vast amounts of data.
Combine an in-demand degree with KU’s reputation, affordability and flexibility.
The online Master of Science in Applied Statistics and Analytics is designed to provide graduates with hands-on statistical computing skills, emphasizing proper application and problem solving. In fact, many of the most employable graduate degrees involve statistics. In response to workforce demand, there are two areas of emphasis:
- Data Analytics will provide graduates with experience working with and analyzing large datasets using several of the most common statistical software tools.
- Statistics will emphasize hands-on statistical computing in the context of statistical methods commonly applied in industry and government agencies.
All coursework can be completed online, providing flexibility for working professionals. The Master of Science in Applied Statistics prepares graduates for careers in the rapidly growing fields of statistics, biostatistics and data analytics.
Tuition is currently $733 per credit hour – about $22,000 for the entire degree – which is highly competitive with similar degrees offered from institutions throughout the U.S. The return on investment based on earning potential is very high.
The numbers are in your favor.
Upon completion of the this degree, graduates will be prepared as statisticians and/or analysts who:
- Demonstrate proficiency in industry-standard statistical software.
- Assume responsibility for the design and implementation of analyses for projects.
- Effectively communicate the principles of statistics and analytics with peers.
- Advocate for good statistical design and practice.
- Prepare reports and publications resulting from projects.
- Function as a collaborator on a project team.
- Assist with the design and implementation of data management systems for projects within his or her field of application.
- The median annual salary for a statistician is $75,600 and the median annual salary for a data scientist is $124,100.