B.S., Information Management, University of Science and Technology of China
M.S., Management Science, University of Science and Technology of China
M.A., Statistics, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, OH
Ph.D., Statistics, Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL
2003, Teaching Fellowship, Florida State University
2004, Best First-year Student in theoretical statistics and Book Award, Statistics Dept., Florida State University
2006, Student Paper Award, American Statistical Association (ASA) Chapter Meeting of Florida
2006, Winner of the Yongyuan and Anna Li Student Presentation, Stat. Dept., FSU
2008, MVP award for serving as a Team Captain in the 2008 Walk to Defeat ALS
2010 Faculty Travel Award, University of Kansas Medical Center
2012 Faculty Travel Award, University of Kansas Medical Center
2013 Scholarship to attend the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) Mid-Career Women Faculty Professional Development Seminar WIMS (The University of Kansas Women in Medicine & Science Organization)
Personal Mission Statement
I got my MA in Statistics in 2011 from Bowling Green State University and my PhD in Statistics in 2007 from Florida State University. It was in graduate schools that I realized that Statistics is so beautifully in theory and powerful in application. The extensive topics in statistics expanses to various areas, such as experimental design for industrial engineering, times series for economics and finance, wavelets for engineering and forecasting, survival analysis for clinical research, spatial statistics for environmental research etc. Intrigued by statistics from both theoretical and application aspects, I decided to pursue a career in academia. I became a faculty member in the Department of Statistics in the University of Kansas Medical Center in 2007. I love my job as it combines three things that I enjoy doing: collaborative research, teaching, and statistical methodology research. These three components intertwine with each other: methodology research serves collaborative research and teaching, collaborative research and teaching motivates methodology research, and collaborative research enriches teaching with first hand application experience. All I do with my job serves the ultimate goal of statistics: applications.
Reliability, Bayesian dynamic models, missing data, mixed models
- Meyers DG, Neuberger J, He J. Cardiovascular Effect of Bans on Smoking in Public Places: A Systemic Review and Meta-analysis, Journal of the American College of Cardiology, 2009,54:1249-1255.
- Quaney B M, Boyd LA, McDowd J, Zahner LH, He J, Mayo MS, Macko R. Aerobic exercise improves cognition and motor function post-stroke, Neurorehabilitation and Neural Repair, 2009, 23:879-885.
- He J, McGee D, Niu X, and Won C: Examining the Dynamic Association of BMI and Mortality in the Framingham Heart Study. The International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 2009, 6 (12): 3115 – 3126.
- Quaney BM, He J, Timberlake G, Dodd K, and Carr C: Visuomotor Training Improves Stroke-Related Ipsilesional Upper Extremity Impairments. Neurorehabilitation and Neural Repair. 2010, 24(1): 52–61.
- He J, McGee D, and Niu X: Application of the Bayesian Dynamic Survival Model in Medicine. Statistics in Medicine. 2010, 29:347--360.
- Wei J, Sykes KJ, Johnson P, He J, Mayo M. Safety and efficacy of once daily nasal irrigation for the treatment of pediatric chronic rhinosinusitis. Laryngoscope. 2011, 121:1989–2000.
- He J: Modeling the Dynamic Association of BMI and Mortality in the Framingham Heart Study. Annals of Epidemiology. 2011, 21(7):517-25.
- He J, Mayo M: Adjusted Interim Survival Analysis under Nonproportional Hazards, Communications in Statistics: Simulation and Computation, 2012; 41:1, 111-124.
- Pasnoor M, He J, Herbelin L, Dimachkie M, Barohn RJ, Muscle Study Group. Phase II Trial of Methotrexate in Myasthenia Gravis. Annals of The New York Academy of Sciences. 2012, 1275 (2012) 23–28.
- He J, Dunton N, Staggs V. Unit-level time trends in inpatient fall rates of U.S. hospitals. Medical Care, 2012, 50(9):801-7.
- Mahnken JD, He J, Yeh H, Nazir N, Jianas LL, Engelman KK. Survival analysis applied to proportion data: comparing mammography visits in high and low repeat rate facilities. Health Services and Outcomes Research Methodology. 2013, 13(1):68-83.
- Moriarty PM, Backes JM, Dutton J, He J, Ruisinger JF, Schmelzle K,. Apple pectin for the reduction of niacin-induced flushing. Journal of Clinical Lipidology. 2013, 7:140–146.
- He J, Staggs V, Bergquist-Beringer S, Dunton N. Seasonality and time trend of hospital acquired pressure ulcers in US hospitals. Research in Nursing and Health. 2013, 36(2):171-80. PMID: 23408376.
- He J, Li Y, Sales A, Almenoff P, Keighley J. The impact of risk adjustment at patient level on the association of Nurse staffing and 30-day mortality. Nursing Research, 2013, 62(4): 226-232. PMID:23817280.
- He J, Yu Q, Zhang H, Mahnken JD. The dynamic association of body mass index and all-cause mortality in multiple cohorts and its impacts. Emerging Themes in Epidemiology 2014 11:17.