Accelerated Master’s Degree (4+1)
Bachelor of Science in Environmental Studies + Professional Science Masters in Environmental Assessment
Save time and money by earning both a bachelor’s and master’s degree at KU in only five years.
The KU environmental studies accelerated master’s degree program is designed for qualified students currently enrolled in the Bachelor of Science in Environmental Studies degree track. The program allows a student to complete the Professional Science Masters (PSM) in Environmental Assessment graduate degree in a single year, or five years total for both degrees.
The KU PSM-Environmental Assessment degree program at the KU Edwards Campus is for graduates who will be employed in private firms, public agencies, and nonprofit organizations that address a range of environmental issues. While most environmentally-oriented jobs and careers do not require a doctoral degree, there is an increasing demand in this field for candidates with graduate science and professional skills coursework. The master’s degree, particularly the professional science master’s degree, is increasingly becoming the entry degree for all but the most basic-level environmental jobs.
How Does it Work?
- Apply to the environmental studies program in the spring semester of junior year (year 3) for permission to start the accelerated track.
- If accepted by the program to start the 4+1 track, students must take nine credit hours of approved courses that would normally be part of the PSM in Environmental Assessment graduate curriculum for undergraduate credit.
- These credits must be earned during the summer following your junior year and/or the fall and spring semesters of your senior year (year 4).
- During the spring semester of senior year (year 4), students will formally apply to the PSM in Environmental Assessment graduate program.
- Following completion of the bachelor’s degree, students will need to enroll in at least 24 graduate credit hours total during the summer and year 5 to complete the requirements of the PSM in Environmental Assessment graduate program.
Accelerated 4+1 Requirements
The admissions requirements for the KU environmental studies accelerated master’s degree program include:
- All requirements for a Bachelor of Science in Environmental Studies from KU completed or in progress.
- Two letters of recommendation from faculty qualified to judge the student’s preparation for, and potential to complete, the 4+1 track; at least one of the letters must be from an EVRN faculty member.
- Major and cumulative GPA of at least 3.2.
- Statement of interest that succinctly summarizes the students’ interests, education, long‐term career goals, and how the accelerated degree program will help achieve those goals.