Professional Workplace Communication Certificate
The graduate credential for busy professionals The Opportunity
The KU Professional Workplace Communication Certificate is a valuable graduate school-level credential for working professionals. It takes you beyond the numbers to understand what really makes organizations tick – everyday communication practices too often taken for granted.
So, what exactly is workplace communication? It's the hidden element within every organization that brings people and ideas together. It's the dimension of any workplace that explores the human side of organizations – and helps facilitate your career success.
Effective workplace communication requires insights and skills for crafting messages that connect and motivate stakeholders inside and outside of organizations. The certificate program teaches you how to develop and evaluate verbal, nonverbal, electronic and written messages to connect with specific audiences. You'll also learn how and when to ask bigger-picture questions that improve communication within your organization.
The four-course, 12 credit hour KU certificate takes less time and money to complete than a traditional master’s degree. It provides you with a valuable credential for when you're seeking a promotion or planning a job change. Additionally, all four courses roll into the KU Master's in Communication Studies if you decide to pursue the full KU Master’s degree in Communication Studies at the Edwards campus in Overland Park.
Along the way, you’ll learn how to share information in ways that create greater understanding--both internally and externally. Skills taught apply to communicating with internal peers, teams, managers, and leaders – as well as external stakeholders such as customers, vendors, partners, regulators, and media. These competencies are at the core of every organization's decision-making, team-building, problem-solving, and crisis-resolution.
This certificate program teaches communication principles that will differentiate you throughout your career, helping you to achieve results more effectively and efficiently. The KU Professional Workplace Communication certificate provides a framework for building the trusted personal networks needed to thrive in today’s rapidly evolving professional world.
Popular alternative to a graduate degree - less than half the time, less than half the cost
The KU Professional Workplace Communication Certificate is popular choice for working professionals with demanding schedules. A certificate in workplace communication complements any existing degree. It's a flexible graduate-level program requiring less time and financial commitment than a traditional graduate degree. Plus, all coursework is eligible to be applied later toward a KU Master's in Communication Studies. Compared to a master's degree:
- 8-week classes allow flexibility
- It can be completed in 1 year or less
- It requires 12 credit hours versus 30. Link to curriculum page with required and elective courses
- No GRE requirement. View admissions requirements.
- All classes are in the evening for the convenience of students working full-time.
- Plus, KCMetro residents pay in-state tuition if they live in any of these 11 Missouri counties.
Available only on the KU Edwards Campus in Overland Park, this certificate program is one-of-a-kind in the region. Completing it gives you a valuable advantage as you continue building your career:
- It's equally relevant across organization types and career paths including business, non-profit, health care, public administration and education.
- It will connect you with like-minded professionals from many of Kansas City’s top employers
- It signifies your commitment to pursuing high-quality graduate education. Upon completion, you'll hold a respected graduate credential from the University of Kansas.
Next steps to get started: